Can't a girl have a little fun anymore with her friends and a bottle without things getting out of hand? I remember, vaguely, the days when I could drink myself into oblivion and wrestle or dance or just hang around being loud and abnoxious without waking up the next morning clinging to my chest amidst a panic attack. While this doesn't happen everytime I drink I've noted that it is a consistent occurence. I long for the carefree days... and I wonder what made those days particularly carefree. Was it that back then I didn't care as much, or didn't sweat the small stuff as much, or didn't have as much to lose? Maybe now we all have acquired more emotions and hold them just beneath the surface, only to witness them force their way out when inhibitions have wavered. I'm still confused and not yet convinced. Perhaps alcohol doesn't always facilitate a good time (could this be true?)
Some of my fondest memories are of my younger day, with my friends and of course booze. Most of the time back then we had to be very cunning in our attainment of the brew. I think that the thrill of somehow getting our mucky paws on the "good stuff" was better than actually having it. We would go to any length, lie, manipulate and even cross country lines just to have the chance to party. It's not as exciting anymore because now we just walk into any store and buy what we want... legally. Yawn! But you know, I still have a good time when I'm drinking and hanging out with my friends. Most of the time. As long as tempers don't flare, or communication doesn't get crossed. I don't recall this happening much when I was in my twenties or thereabouts. Back then I think my friends and I were too busy fighting against a bigger cause to fight amoungst ourselves. That's right, we were too busy fighting against the man (Mothers included.) In our youthful days we were preoccupied pulling one over on the parents, or school or work. We were way too busy with all of that to even think about challenging each other.
Perhaps now, as responsible law abiding citizens we need a healthy outlet in which to express our angst. Perhaps now, we need to feel as though we are fighting for something in unity in order to prevent fighting with each other.
Monday, February 16, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I don't know about you, but I'm still fighting the man...
ReplyDeleteI noticed about four years ago that the day after a huge drink-off I am particularly anxious. I don't know if it always happened and I couldn't identify it until recently or if it's a new development. I just find a way to drink my way through it.